Sunday, March 09, 2008

Ipoh Hong Kee Egg Tarts


I went to Ipoh... early one morning and drove all the way to get the Cockman egg tarts. The first thing I saw was there are so so many people dere waiting.. i was like oh gosh.. iTs a long q. A steady stream of customers, haphazardly parked their vehicles by the roadside, hop down and queue up for the pastries.

I bought myself half a dozen egg tarts and another half dozen for my friends at RM 1.20 per piece. It might sounds rather expensive (especially for the locals) but when I held it in my hand, I practically felt like they were really hefty. Instead of plain egg with sugar, the proprietor also add in fresh milk to the egg mixture for a creamier, smoother texture. Maybe that explains the weight.

I was impressed with the texture of the crust too, it doesn’t crumble and break when you bite it and the yellowish egg custard was just nice, not overly sweet, with sufficient eggy aroma.. it is better than some Penang egg tarts.. em...not wasting my time to dere have a try of it

Hong Kee Pastries @ Kedai Kopi Weng Seng
(corner shop at the same row with Har Chai Seng and former Super Kinta)
14, Jalan Dato’ Onn Jaafar aka Cockman Street,
30300 Ipoh, Perak.
Tel: 017-5928 303
Business hour: Early in the morning, around 6am till noon. Come early as the tarts usually sold out by 10am.

No comments: